Parenting Tips for Raising Twins
After being with each other for a while, you finally decide to welcome a bundle of joy into the world. However, it’s not one, but two bundles! This makes for double the joy but also double the anxiety. The anxiety of ‘how to raise twins.’ And this feeling is justified since raising twins is not an easy thing to do.
Since there is no “undo” button in parenting, we have devised a list of tips and tricks to help you. According to Justin McClure, raising twins comes with a whole new set of challenges when compared to raising a single child. Let’s take a look at how you can make raising twin babies easy.
- Systematize The Feeding Times: Always make sure that you are feeding your twins on time, and also make preparations for feeding times so that you don’t have to rush through it. This implies getting ready with all the supplies you are going to need for feeding such as feeding bottles, burp cloths, and other things that make feeding time easy. Make sure that these things are within reach and kept at a proper place. Find a comfortable place where you can feed your twins properly.
- Maintain A Proper Schedule: Given the fact that handling two kids at a time can be troublesome, make sure that you are putting them on a proper schedule with strict meal times and bedtimes. If you have twin babies or toddlers, it’s always better to have parallel feeding, sleeping, and playing times. For grown-up kids, their schedules may depend on a variety of factors such as their schools, their personalities, likes, and dislikes, etc. Make sure that whatever schedule they have is implemented strictly. Do everything you can to prevent things from spiraling out of control.
- Understand Their Inter-Dynamics: It is very important for you as parents to understand how the twins interact with each other and what kind of relationship they have established between them. This will help you to not only relate to them as a parent but also enable you to understand how to regulate your parenting. This can help you with several scenarios and circumstances such as solving fights, distributing toys and candies between them, and most importantly, understanding the power-dynamics so that you may be able to find out whether one twin is dominating the other. This will help you weed out any possible sibling rivalries at their roots!
- Take Some Time For Yourselves: Parents who are engaged in work and parenting 24/7, can turn out to be grumpy and may take their frustration out on their children. Always make sure that you take rest from all the busy parenting work. Take some time out together, like going to the movies, or going for dinner. This will freshen you up and prepare you for the challenge of another day! Make sure you take breaks from time to time. Remember this ‘go-to’ line whenever you catch yourself thinking ‘it’s too hectic’, just say, ‘stress-free parents make good parents.’
- Create A ‘Together Activity’ Time: If you want your twins to bond with each other easily, here is a basic but wonderful idea. List down a few activities that you can do together with them! And remember, these activities should not be competitive in nature. You can rather have activities like storytelling or asking both of them to do something where they are on the same team. The reason here is that the bond between twins is very sensitive and even more than it is between ordinary siblings. You can either create two perfectly harmonious twins or two who are divided because of your poor parenting decisions.
These were just some of the fundamental points that you must follow so that parenting isn’t a tough challenge for you. There can be a few discrepancies here and there, but make sure that you keep the situations under control. There are so many successful ‘twin stories’ like the McClure twins, so you don’t need to worry and overthink this too much. Raising twins may have its unique points, but its nothing like rocket science. We hope you enjoyed this article and found it to be informative. We understand that parenting is a challenging task, but it’s certainly manageable!